Friday, June 26, 2009

Let's Try This Out

Ok so everyone I've invited to this blog knows - I need to lose weight, and I am losing weight...it's just going a bit slower than I'd like. Every time I start out trying to lose weight, I eventually hit a point where my determination starts to waver... sometimes it's because I'm tired of working out, the scale isn't moving fast enough, I'm HUNGRY, I'm busy, or even because Aaron feels like getting a bunch of junk food and I just can't quite bring myself to say no or even remember why exactly I'm not supposed to have doughnuts or candy bars. So I think I'm hitting that point... I've been working out since March and sometimes I think if it weren't for the fact that I workout with Sandie 2 days a week, I might have lost the will to do it all together. So I had an idea - maybe if I got more people involved, it might be helpful to me! And not just for me, but for all of you who want to lose weight. I know all the women in my family want to lose some amount of weight, and I know we aren't the only ones. Sandie and I had a discussion a while ago about if you tell alot of people you are working on losing weight then you will feel that much more accountable towards that goal. You don't want everyone to think you've failed - so you keep working at it.
So my idea is this: if I blog about it where I know other people will be keeping up on it, then maybe that will help me. And I'm inviting all of you to blog on here as well... blogspot has a feature that allows multiple authors, so everyone I've invited to view the blog I am also inviting as an author. Whether you want to write about your own weight loss goals or possibly just share a healthy recipe or tip, I encourage you to do it because I need all the help I can get! At the bottom of the page I put a weight loss ticker for my own goals, if anyone wants to join in you are welcome to do the same. If you are interested I made mine at The Ticker Factory. I'm keeping this blog private because I know weight can be a sensitive topic for alot of people, and the only people I am inviting so far are the women in my immediate family, and the women in Aaron's family (his mom, sister, etc). I think you need to have a gmail account to be invited so if there's someone I missed it's because I don't have a gmail address for you but I will be looking into the ones I'm missing. If nothing else ladies, please just check in on me from time to time and comment on my posts so I know that someone is holding me accountable besides just me!

5 comments:

  1. Melanie, I love this idea. I have recently (as you know) enjoyed the blogspot idea and now I have another one that I can look at daily. I look forward to following this and hope it can help me as well with my daily challenge of eating right and exercising. This will be fun...right???
    Love you, Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey I love your web page it reminds me of your frame, perfect! Ok tonight was baaaaadddd, met some friends for Mexican. A fajita salad, not the worst but not the best, oh and did I mention the margarita????? Tomorrow will be better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay so my goal for your blog is to seek out healthy EASY recipes that Aaron can even make for dinner. Another tip is to eat at the table (dinner not coffee) because that forces you to talk while you're eating giving you 1. The chance to have quality family time and 2. When you're talking you're eating slower thus giving you a chance to digest and feel fuller faster. I'll work on the recipes since I'm trying to plan my meals in advance and headed to the grocery store today anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thai Basil Chicken

    prep time:20 min
    start to finish:20 min
    makes:4 servings

    4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 1 1/4 lb)
    1 tablespoon canola or soybean oil-for easy go w/canola
    3 cloves garlic, finely chopped-easy go with McCormicks
    2 red or green jalapeƱo chiles, seeded, finely chopped
    1 tablespoon fish sauce or reduced-sodium soy sauce-easy soy
    1 teaspoon sugar
    1/4 cup chopped fresh basil leaves-easy just tear them apart
    1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint leaves-easy tear them apart
    1 tablespoon chopped unsalted dry-roasted peanuts, if desired

    1. Cut each chicken breast into 4 pieces. Cubed
    2. Spray 12-inch skillet with cooking spray. Add oil; heat over medium-high heat. Cook chicken, garlic and chilies in oil 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until chicken is no longer pink in center. Stir in fish sauce and sugar. Sprinkle with basil, mint and peanuts.

    Serve with rice and take leftovers to work for lunch the next day.

    ReplyDelete