Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Day 1: Moroccan Chicken

A few years ago, in a whole different life, I got sick and tired of coming home and staring into the pantry like it was a Magic 8 Ball every night - never truely yielding up anything of worth for me or the 2 hungry boys. So I decided to try out meal planning - which ended up saving me time, money, sanity, and of course weight gain! But life changes. Now, single, I just don't bother. I'm never in the mood to cook for just me, and my food always goes bad before I can finish it. So, naturally, I eat a lot of convenience food (or my sister's food - let's be honest!) And I will never be healthy like this - plus there is a lot to be said for a nice home cooked meal!

So this last Sunday I drew up a menu and went shopping. I made sure to choose dynamic dishes that also used similar ingredients. Then I spent a couple of hours Sunday cooking everything up. The hardest part was modifying for a single serving! Then I put each one into small (7x5x1) casserole dish and popped them into the freezer.

Day 1: Moroccan Chicken over Basmati Rice
*****
Reheat 30 mins. @ 350°
Modified from Eat Clean Diet Cookbook

> In a skillet heat 1tsp coconut oil over medium low heat. Add 1/4 of a vidallia onion, chopped, and sauté untill well cooked.

> Add half of a chicken breast, thinly sliced, and sauté 2 more minutes.

> In a small bowl combine a heavy pinch of sea salt, 1/4 tsp cumin, 1/4 tsp Chili powder and aheavy pinch of cinnamon - combine and then add to skillet, evenly distributing over chicken.

> Sauté until chicken is cooked through.

> Lay a bed of cooked Basmati rice into the caserole dish and top with chicken mixture.

> Cover and freeze immediately. Remove cover and cover with foil before replacing in the oven.

No comments:

Post a Comment